The Reserve Connection (TRC), a public non-profit, is seeking to hire a part-time Field Naturalist to work on The Nature Reserve at Rancho Mission Viejo (The Nature Reserve). TRC is responsible for education and programming on The Nature Reserve, a growing habitat reserve located in South Orange County, California. Currently The Nature Reserve is approximately 8,200 acres in size, but over time is anticipated to grow to approximately 20,000 acres in size.
The Reserve Connection is dedicated to connecting visitors to the land through our community education and stewardship programs. The Field Naturalist will join our team and assist in making these connections by leading school education and interpretive programs for visitors.
• Teach educational programs to students grades K-5 in an outdoor setting.
• Occasionally lead hikes and walks with the public and volunteers.
• Handle and care for a variety of animals, including snakes.
• Assist in habitat restoration projects including removing invasive species, monitoring and helping manage restoration sites.
• Create and maintain strong cooperative relationships with visitors, coworkers, community agencies, school personnel, volunteers, and professional individuals
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Promote Nature Reserve programs at various partner and community events.
Knowledge and Skills:
• Preferred: B.S or B.A in ecology, biology, environmental studies, environmental education, recreation or a related field; or equivalent work experience
• Preferred: Minimum of two (2) years prior teaching or interpretive experience
Working Conditions/Physical Abilities:
• Comfortable being outside in variable weather and physical conditions
• Ability to move up to thirty (30) pounds, load and unload supplies, set up, and breakdown equipment
• Hike quickly for up to three (3) miles in an emergency situation to obtain assistance
• A valid California Driver’s License is required
• CPR/First Aid certification is required (provided upon employment)
$19.50/hour; 10-20 hours/week. Typically, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Interested people should email a resume to Bonnie McQuiston, Education and Community Programs Manager. email@example.com
Position Closes: August 30, 2023